Sunday, June 6, 2010

“There once was a man who had two sons…”

While this particular man also has a daughter, I have spent this last week with my two sons in Morganton while Laura and Katherine Mae have been at the beach. Hudson, Charlie and I have had a lot of fun going throughout the routines of everyday life. We’ve also had some challenges which we won’t get into at this time, but let’s just say I have grown in my appreciation for the work my wife does as a stay-at-home mom!  As Laura has said about my sabbatical, “He’s just trading one job for another!” She is right that it is a “job” to be a stay-at-home parent. I am so glad that this is the only week I’ll have to experience that without Laura by my side!!!


The Bailey boys (all 3 of us) had some good times this week and actually did o.k. in the area of personal hygiene and healthy eating. (Although I did eat at fast-food more than I would have preferred. KFC grilled chicken: thumbs up! BK fire-grilled ribs: thumbs down!). The highlight of the week came at the conclusion with a day-long adventure in the mountains. We went to Upper Creek Falls on Saturday and had a blast hiking, playing in the creek, skipping rocks, enjoying nature and a picnic lunch along the way. I particularly enjoyed Charlie’s questions throughout the day: “Why are there boulders? Why are there birds in the forest? Why is the creek so wet?” I think with the help of my first stab at answering him, Charlie is well on his way to developing a strong theology as his questions morphed into: “Why did God put that boulder there? Why did God "borned" the birds in the forest? Why did God make the water so wet?” (I’ll let you know when I come up with those answers!)  After we hiked out we decided that the day would be incomplete without a trip to Blowing Rock for Kilwin's ice cream and playing at the playground.  What a day we had!!! 

The girls are on there way home today and we can’t wait to see them - I really mean that!!! Today is also a special day for Laura and me as it is our 12th anniversary! The years have flown by! Life can get pretty crazy at times, but what I tell her still rings true after 12: I wouldn’t want to be on this roller coaster adventure with anyone else by my side but her!  I am truly a blessed man in so many ways.  I am so grateful to have this time of sabbatical to be able to enjoy these precious gifts I have so graciously been given. Thanks be to God!

-MRB


A great place for adventure was discovered - these boys will be back to Upper Creek for sure!


Goofing around in the creek!!!


The Bailey Adventurers!!!



Two exhausted boys at the end of the day.  (An exhausted Daddy slept well that night, too!)