Sunday, February 6, 2011

Ancestory Adventure

On Friday, February 4, 2011, I made a trip to visit a sick parishoner at Wake Forest Baptist Medical center.  The trip brought me right through Davie County, and specifically a dot on the map named Cana, North Carolina.  Generations ago the Frost family (my mother's side) settled there.  The branch of the family tree from which I come soon left North Carolina for Tennessee.  But in Davie County there remained a family graveyard on the old family farm.  Known as the Old Frost Burying Ground, my grandfather visited the site on a couple of occasions, first out of curiosity and nostalgia and later for a more formal reason: research for a genealogy book that he wrote and published before his death four months before my birth.  Following the directions to this sacred ground which my grandfather gave close to 50 years ago in his book, I found the Old Frost Burying Ground with very little difficulty.  It was just like Grandaddy described.
While it is my hope and plan to come back later and write a more thorough account of this trip, for now I wish only to get these pictures on this blog so that my parents and other family members can view them.  It seems I am playing the part of "scout" for another group of interested family that will come for a visit to the Old Frost Burying Ground at a future date.  Come by and see us in Morganton if you do, we're about 70 miles away.




The grove of trees just as Grandaddy described.
















The awe-struck adventurer




 
There must have been 40 graves in this grove.  Nearly all that were legible contained the name Frost.
The tombstone of Ebenezer Frost, my great great great great great great grandfather.
And his wife, Elizabeth

Marker of Elizabeth Frost with the Genealogy book written by Wright W. Frost